Saturday, July 22, 2006

Day 3. Home again, home again, jiggety jig

Richard ate breakfast this morning, thus successfully passing Round One of the BMT journey. Reminds me of when I used to play Ms. Pac-Man. I "ate" all the little orbs, which enabled me to move on to a more challenging level.

After many instructions and a still-intact "trifusion" catheter in his chest, Richard and I headed home at 10 a.m. His blood pressure is still low (99/57), but higher than yesterday. We only live about five minutes from the hospital, which is so helpful. Ah....home, sweet home. Even better was "shower, sweet shower."

To keep the port and area around the port dry during Richard's shower, we put saran wrap over part of his chest, stuck in place by waterproof tape. With hundreds of thousands of patients needing these sorts of "cover-ups" after many types of surgery, you'd think Johnson&Johnson or 3M would have created something like this for sale. Shrug.

Richard felt a little fluish today. He didn't have a temp at 2 pm, but a very slight temp at about 5 (99.2). He spent the day talking on the phone, lying pronish on the borrowed barcolounger (thanks Jeff), and eating soup, crackers and cheese, and even a little ice cream (shhhh). I still have to figure out the best way to serve a "low microbial diet." More on that tomorrow.

Please feel free to leave comments. You don't need a Blogger account to do so.

More things underrated: Chicken noodle soup, and a cool shower after a hot day.

5 Comments:

At 7/22/2006 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon--since I figure your pre-SCT "low microbial" diet is the same as the suggested post-SCT diet which I had, I think it would include soups, cooked fruits and vegetables only (no salads), well-cooked meat (I particularly enjoyed lamb; when I could find lamb shanks in the supermarket, I sauteed them w/onions, simmered them till they almost fell off the bones, and served with mint jelly and rice) ... & absolutely no sushi!! (The latter easy to avoid!)

 
At 7/23/2006 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard and Robin,
Your daily blogs on this journey are informative and inspirational. We're thinking of you and praying for you.

 
At 7/23/2006 7:52 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I found your blog this morning through the ACOR list. Best wishes to you both! Hang in there! I was diagnosed with smoldering MM at age 30, and I also keep a blog at http://adventuresofcancergirl.blogspot.com

 
At 7/23/2006 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Uncle Richard. You are frequently in the thoughts and prayers of Sam and I. We love you and are cheering you on.

Shiloh (and Sam)

 
At 7/24/2006 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard & Robin,

Heard about your sitiuation from Sue Bruneau who requested prayer in your behalf. I have most heartily responded to the request. Do not believe I have seen you since the 70's, but the memories of you both is vivid. You have done an excellent job on this site keeping folks informed. I know the going is tough, but it's good to know that many others are joined in the battle with you.

Love to you & the family from the deep south.

Eddie Stakes

Rom 8:11

 

Post a Comment

<< Home