Sunday, August 20, 2006

Day 2: The green bean episode


Day 2:
WBC 1.9; Platelets 293

Richard had one setback but two successes today. He went past the point of nausea today. I' m not sure why, but three things prefaced the event: the new morning nurse did not give him anti-nausea medicine for 7 hours; the new physical therapist worked him around and made him walk down the hall and back even though he had just done so; and I arrived in his room with a cup of green beans right as he sat down after his walk with the PT. He looked at me and my green beans and. Well... I had been so pleased at managing the nausea up to that point. Sigh. I guess the smell of my green beans sent him over the edge. Oy vey.

But! Richard also had a couple of small successes today. After the G.B. episode, he ate three bites of applesauce, 1/2 of a mini-vanilla wafer, 3/4 of a cherry popsicle and one saltine cracker. I believe those represent the four food groups. He walked back and forth in the unit hall a couple of times, too, which was great. And he felt well enough to sort of watch two movies: Rounders (thanks, Alissa!) and Along Came Polly.

I love my new little digital camera, so I took some pictures of Richard's room today. Archeologists might call this research about a person's lived environment?

The Board











The Other White Board












Evidence of success?












The blur is not due to speed of subject...















Things we appreciated today: Calls from Nathalie, Jeff, and Kristen; a new CD player for soothing music; Alissa and Ryan's DVD collection; and free parking.

P.S. Short phone calls and cards are very welcome. I think the phone was "off" a couple of days ago, but that was unintentional.

2 Comments:

At 8/21/2006 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad about the green beans - hope they weren't his favorites!

Looks like Richard's getting ready for the Hospital Olympics - the blur is definately the speed of the runner!

Enjoy the 4 basic food groups!
Love from Lyon!

 
At 8/21/2006 7:09 PM, Blogger The Armstrong Brood said...

Green beans make Sarah vomit too. Well, come to think of it, pretty much any green vegetable makes her sick.

Keep it up, Uncle Richie... Sounds like you're doing great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home