Sunday, October 01, 2006

Day 44: Guitars, cowbells and bulbs

Richard update: sternum pain from possible fracture and all-over, maddening itchiness are still issues. But many good things spill into our days...

Richard's sister gave him one of her guitars last week. Thanks, Liz! So now Richard can learn how to play (um...thanks Liz..). Doesn't he already look like a folk singer? Well, without the black boxes around his ears.

Daughter Alissa, friend Lisa, neighbors Bill and Andrea, and their friends (and yours truly) participated in the Cowtown Marathon/Half-Marathon/5K walk-run today, along with 2800 other participants. The day started with a ringing alarm clock at 6:30 a.m. Richard and I looked at each other bleary-eyed and said, "Whose idea WAS this anyway?"

Alissa, Lisa and I walked the 5K. It was my first "race" (yes, racing the leaves down the street at my pace...). Richard walked to coffee and waited for our return. By the time he walked to the park with us, walked to coffee and back, he probably logged as many miles as we did.

We survived the day, and enjoyed Richard's parents' company later in the afternoon. They came bearing gifts of planted bulbs.

Ah, fall. My favorite time of year.

10 Comments:

At 10/02/2006 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news on the race! I think we'd opt for Richard's type of race - to the coffee shop and back!

Mom & Dad enjoyed the picture of Larry, Nathalie, and Richard together - and they say "Hi!"

Love from Lyon!

 
At 10/02/2006 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looking good. I always was a sucker for man with a guitar! Gaylen

 
At 10/02/2006 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look like a pro! I really will go down into the basement and find my beginning guitar books. And Robin, beginning guitar is not nearly as bad as beginning violin! I'm off to Idaho Wed. Back Sun. talk to you soon.

PS Tahoe was BEAUTIFUL. Really fall up there--golden aspen, orange and red leaves. Wish I could have stayed a day or two more.

See ya,
YFS

 
At 10/02/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger The Armstrong Brood said...

So who won, you or the leaves?

My Richard is trying to learn the guitar too. Always fun to listen to...

 
At 10/02/2006 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely looking like a famous folk singer. I think we have your autograph around here somewhere. Maybe we could sell it on ebay and go to Hawaii! We planned to walk the Cowtown Marathon with you. Couldn't manage to sign up - the Davis Fleet Feet wouldn't do it. So we slept in instead. ;) But we thought about it and wished we were there. Shouldn't a Cowtown Marathon be in Vacaville???
Love,
Dale and Kim

 
At 10/02/2006 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Richard,

Just wanted to let you know that Sam and I are thinking about and praying for you and your recovery. Good talking to you the other day!

Shiloh

 
At 10/03/2006 4:31 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Dad-Very cool (for you) that you are learning top play guiter.

Mom-Ummmmm I think that you will be spending aloooottt of time at Riverside Cafe while Dad learns how to play guitar ;)lol

XOXOXOX
Kristen

 
At 10/06/2006 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard and Robin,

Haven't seen your blog in a few days, so I'm catching up and glad to get the latest news.

By now, Richard, you're making beautiful music, I'm sure.

And, Robin, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Best to you both,
Libby and Sandy

 
At 11/05/2006 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin,

Have you shut your blog down? I was following Richard's Transplant Journey with great interest. I am on a very similar journey. Assuming the Induction part goes along well, I should be starting my own transplant in Juanuray.

I hope things have continued to go well for you and Richard . . . your commentary and humor went along way towards "normalizing" this entire process - for me and I'm sure, for many others who are facing or contemplating a similar journey.

Thank you . . . take care,

Barry Jones
Eureka, California
bigwaves1@cox.net

 
At 12/06/2006 8:51 AM, Blogger Don said...

Hello Richard,

I'd love to hear more about your journey. I have myeloma too, and may need a stem cell transplant someday. How's it going now?

Be well, Don

 

Post a Comment

<< Home