Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Day 5: Lyre, lyre

WBC: 1.2
Platelets: 143
Lbs lost: 6

Sometimes boredom is a welcome change. Richard felt only moderately nauseated today, which is a big improvement over the last six days. Boredom is better than nausea. Today he spent proportionately more time sitting in the chair, doing exercises, and cruising the hall than on previous days. Who would have thought that boredom could be so great?

During one of our hall cruises, we picked up a hitchhiker: the BMT ward's musical therapist. She brought in her lyre and strummed a few haunting melodies. Richard loved it. She promised to lend him her guitar over the weekend, since he is interested in learning how to play. I hope the other patients and nurses don't mind. At least it's not the drums.

This lyre is made of ash wood, and it is absolutely beautiful. We briefly talked about Larry's skill at taking all types of wood and making wonderful crafts and pieces of furniture. Richard loved having the break in his day, and looks forward to having her stop by a couple of times a week.

No movies tonight. We spent time reading and trying to solve today's gosh-darned crossword puzzle. We're determined to finish one by the time he leaves the hospital.

Richard is eating more, but he still can't tolerate the smell of warm food. Crackers, bread, muffins, ice cream and popsicles are his friends. And don't even mention cooked foods. The words "turkey and gravy" or "mashed potatoes" cause his face to grimace and contort uncontrollably. If I weren't so kind, I could use that against him, I suppose. [What? You disagree with me? MASHED POTATOES. That's right. Don't mess with me, bub.]

Best moment of the day:
Richard
: (Looking out the window.) Do you ever wish you could fly?
Robin
: (Reading a book.) I really don't like flying. I hate landings.
Richard
: No, I mean flying flying. I wish I could just open this window and take off...Where would you go if you could?
Robin
: Probably Italy. I would offer myself frequent flyer miles, too. Where would you go?
Richard
: With you.

4 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 8:13 AM, Blogger The Armstrong Brood said...

The mashed potato comment made Richie and me laugh really hard. Hilarious. So, so, so good to hear that the nausea is better under control and there are new diversions--who would've thought, a lyre. Very cool. I've been trying to finish a crossword puzzle for the last three years--good luck.

 
At 8/24/2006 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day! Mentioned to Annette (your flower girl so many years ago!) that you featured one of her colleagues in your blog. Annette works at a Boston hospital, but with instruments other than lyres.

Absolutely loved your 'best moment of the day' and had to share your sweet sentiments with friends. Thanks for sharing your love with all of us - it's priceless.

Love from Lyon!

 
At 8/25/2006 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard and Robin,
We are at Lake Minden in Niclaus, CA. We will be at THE PARTY tomorrow and only sorry that you won't be. We try to keep up with you progress on the internet when we can get a connection or by phone with your folks.
Love from the Gypsies of the Family

 
At 8/25/2006 5:17 PM, Blogger Gracie Cole said...

uncle richard, i'm leaving tomorrow for colorado in the old vw bus. if it doesn't make it that far, at least i've got my unicycle with me - i know it can get me there. :) i'll be sure to call during one of my many hours of driving.
love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home